8th February 1826

Papa has received a remarkable letter from the Rt. Hon. Jermyn Smidgeon-Jones, asking him to become the Honorary Secretary of the General and North East London Elastic Ventilating Hat Company on account of ‘receiving so many reports of his evident sound judgment in financial matters, exhibited at our inaugural general meeting of the 1st inst..’

Papa was, of course, very gratified and has written back without delay. I asked him if I could make a copy, as it is v. good and he has such a way with words:

29 Johnson Street,

Clarendon Square,*

Camden Town

8th February 1826

My Dear Sir,


I express my most fulsome thanks for your generous recommendation, namely, that I should undertake the manifold important duties associated with the eminent position of Honorary Secretary of your – may I respectfully submit, our – estimable, nay invaluable, commercial undertaking. I flatter myself that you will take some pleasure in receiving my acknowledgement of your missive and extract some measure of personal satisfaction from said response being most heartily and resoundingly in the affirmative. 

 Now, my dear sir, until I have the felicity of making your personal acquaintance, it only remains for me to assert the profound sense I entertain of your general kindness and those particular attentions which encourage me to subscribe myself, with the greatest respect,

 Your most willing and obedient servant,

  JOHN DICKENS, Esq.


[* nb. we are not terribly near to Clarendon Square, but Papa always says it helps the postman.]


Mama asked what was the salary; and Pa replied that it was an honorary position, for a gentleman, and thus a great mark of distinction – and that the reward would inevitably come in the plentiful dividends of the company.

‘Tell me, at least, John,’ she said, ‘that there will be no honorary debts.’

Papa swore that it was an impossibility and kissed her on the cheek. I do hope that he has forgotten about the hat. What if he needs to borrow it back to conduct an important meeting of shareholders?

10 o’clock p.m.

Papa in high spirits all evening – a great honour, bound to prosper – things do turn up &c &c – I only wish that I could be more hopeful. 

I must have looked miserable because Mama inquired after my bowels (again!) and then discreetly deposited a bottle of Dr Malstruther’s Patent Aperient Mixture by my bedside. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment