26th January 1826

After school, I stood outside in the street, hoping that I might catch a solitary glimpse of HER. Then it began to rain. My HOPES and DREAMS were dissolved in the drops which tumbled like tears from the heavens – like TEARS for MY LOVE – and I went back indoors, feeling thoroughly wretched. HOW CAN I WIN HER AFFECTIONS? (NB. It does not help matters that one of my boots lets in water.)

There is some good news. Papa has managed to secure orders for the Royal Surrey Theatre on Saturday, gratis (he met a fellow in Stray Cat who shifts scenery). This set me to thinking about the theatre and so I told Pa all about the first scene of my play, The Gadabout Duke (which I completed this very evening!). The hero, Pistacchio, pursues a mysterious dark-eyed, olive-skinned beauty from Italy, called Maria-Theresa St. Cristophero. She carries a locket containing within it a picture of the true Duke of Albemarlia. Harried at every turn and pursued, in turn, by an evil uncle (Count Morphoso), she confounds everyone by disguising herself as a nun and fleeing from danger. Pa said it all sounded very promising – especially the nun – and he thoroughly expected to see it performed at Drury Lane before the year was out (haha!).

It is quite good, though.


Midnight.

Struggling to sleep.

Not sure about Maria-Theresa; it lacks poetry. I may call her Selenia.


No comments:

Post a Comment